After Hurricane Florence devastated the Carolinas over the weekend, NBA legend Michael Jordan explained why he felt it was necessary for him to donate $2 million to relief efforts.
“You gotta take care of home,” he told the Charlotte Observer. “You don’t want to see any of that anywhere, but when it’s home, that’s tough to swallow.”
Jordan, who grew up in Wilmington, NC as a child before moving on to play at North Carolina and later the NBA said that the heavy rains in both North and South Carolina brought back some memories.
“Wilmington truly is my home. Kept thinking about all those places I grew up going to,” Jordan said. “And the deaths – it was so sad about the babies. You don’t want to see any of that anywhere, but when it’s home, that’s tough to swallow.”
Jordan’s donation comes in two parts, first a donation of $1 million to the American Red Cross and a donation of $1 million to the Foundation for the Carolinas Florence Response Fund. The Charlotte Hornets, the team where Jordan is the owner have also launched relief efforts and are set to be packing thousands of disaster food boxes for those affected. Jordan hopes that the dual donation will show both the short and long-term impact that Hurricane Florence will have on the region.
“People need to understand this will not be a week-long process. This is going to have a huge disruption on people’s lives – not for 10 days, but for years,” Jordan said.
- Voter Suppression Bills In Georgia: Companies Donating To Republicans’ ‘Big Lie’ Stay Silent
- ‘We Do This ‘Till We Free Us’: Book About Prison Abolition Lands In The New York Times Top 10 List
- Scary Hours: Mitch McConnell Is Reportedly Positioning Daniel Cameron To Be His Successor In The Senate
- ABC Newscaster Linsey Davis Shares What Inspired Her New Children’s Book, ‘Stay This Way Forever’ [EXCLUSIVE]
- Koryn Hawthorne Teams Up With Queen Naija For “Speak To Me (Queen Mix)”
- Beds for Kids celebrates 10 years meeting the needs of families
- Watch: Shanta Atkins Releases Music Video For “Made Up My Mind”
- The Undressing Room Presented By Macy’s Ep. 5: “Black Girl Magic” [LISTEN]
- Feels Like Home: Israel & Adrienne Houghton Share Story Of How Their Supportive Marriage Encouraged Israel’s Album
- Healthy Ever After: How To Relieve Stress, Anxiety & Depression [VIDEO]