Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- Garner Father Shoots 14 Year Old Son By Accident And Is Charged In Shooting
- Loving Her Legacy : Toni Morrison
- Colin Kaepernick And Eric Reid Reportedly Win Big In NFL Settlement
- Mitigating Crohns Disease with Essential Spices
- Dave Chappelle Hand Delivers Tickets To NC Couple Scammed On Craigslist
- 21 Savage In First Interview Since ICE Arrest: ‘It Was Definitely Targeted’
- UNC-CH Drops Honor Court Case Over Silent Sam Statue
- Loving Her Legacy : Gloria Mayfield Banks
- Jason Van Dyke’s Wife Whines Her Husband Is Being Attacked Because He’s ‘A White Man Who Harmed’ LaQuan McDonald
- Your List Of Free Weekend Community Events