Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- Prince Harry, Meghan Markle Expecting Their First Child In 2019
- Corner Store Caroline! White Woman Calls 911 After Claiming 9-Year-Old Sexually Assaulted Her
- Ray & Vivian Chew Speak About What It’s Like Working With Music Legends [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Donald Lawrence Shares What It Might Be Like In Goshen [EXCLUSIVE]
- U.S. Pastor Andrew Brunson Freed By Turkish Court
- When Victory becomes your Destination
- Get The NC Music Hall Of Fame VIP Treatment!
- Cathy Hughes Sings Happy Birthday To Pastor Shirley Caesar
- Isabel Davis Gets Emotional When Speaking About What Drew Her Heart To “Jesus We Love You” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- Faith Walking: I Literally Believe In His Word [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]