Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- White Woman Accused Of Pretending To Be A Doctor In Africa Is Sued After ‘100 Babies’ Die
- Anthony Brown Shares The Importance Behind His 20 Day Of Blessings Challenge
- Kirk Franklin On Why He’s Anti-Religion [VIDEO]
- Sisters Take Wrong Man Off Life Support After Being Told It Was Their Brother
- Mary J. Blige To Receive Lifetime Achievement Honor At 2019 BET Awards
- “Don’t Call Me Auntie,” Ava DeVernay, Gayle King & Oprah Aren’t Here For It
- *Sigh* ‘The Last Black Man In San Francisco’ Nails These 3 Hard Truths About Gentrification
- Study: More Women Prefer Men with ‘Dad Bods’ Rather Than Abs
- Ex-Megachurch Pastor Sentenced To 10 Years For Stealing From Congregation
- Dallas Shooting Shows ‘White Male Domestic Terrorism’ Is Thriving As Congress Fails To Act