Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- Cultural Highlights At The Royal Wedding
- Tasha Leonard Wins Big At Billboard
- Alabama Pastor Generates Controversy After Saying Whites Need To Stay Out Of Black Churches
- Too Cute! Chrissy Teigen Shares First Pic of Her Baby Boy
- [WATCH] American Bishop’s Royal Wedding Address Goes Viral
- Faith Walking: What Can You Save If You Forgive? [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- How Much Did The Royal Wedding Cost?
- The Royal Wedding [PHOTOS]
- American & British Celebs Arrive At The Royal Wedding
- Love Talking: Community Dating (In Honor Of GRIFF) [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]