Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- Pastor John Gray Doesn’t ‘Agree With Gays’ But Has No Issue Sitting With A Racist President
- Aretha Franklin Is Reportedly “Gravely” Ill And Near Her Death
- David & Tamela Mann Talk About How They Make Time For Each Other [EXCLUSIVE]
- David Mann Delivers A Prayer For His Neck, Back & Knees [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Have The Campbell Kids Changed Since “We’re The Campbells” Premiered? [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Win Tickets To The Southern Women’s Show!
- What Fame? Todd Dulaney Couldn’t Get Into His Own Show [VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: David & Tamela Mann Encourage People Not To Lose Hope [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- SC Woman Claims Being Clean And White Should Prevent Her Arrest
- Jordan Donates $7 Million