Around one million North Carolina students have a day off today as their teachers stage a day long strike in protest of working conditions and pay. Teachers from at least 42 school districts in our state are joining together to demand higher pay and more money for education. As many as 15,000 teachers are expected to march at the state Capitol in Raleigh today. North Carolina is the latest in a string of teacher uprisings across the U.S. this year that have prompted strikes in West Virginia, Oklahoma, Arizona, Kentucky, and Colorado. The main goal of the NOrth Carolina strikes is to increase education funding in the state, which is about $2,400 below the national average, and an increase in pay, which is about $9,000 below the national rate.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- GRIFF’s Prayer For Barbers & Stylists [VIDEO]
- EXCLUSIVE: 12-Year-Old Keedron Byrant Who Went Viral For Singing “I’m A Young Black Man” Speaks Out
- Ericaism: Don’t Be An Opportunist [VIDEO]
- Report: Derek Chauvin, Ex-Minneapolis Cop At Center Of George Floyd’s Death, Arrested
- EXCLUSIVE PREMIERE: BeBe Winans – “Free Free” [VIDEO]
- Covid-19 and Pre-Existing Conditions: A Perfect Storm for African Americans
- Did Fired Officer Derek Chauvin Know George Floyd?
- Minneapolis Protestors Set Fire To Police Station Then Set Off Fireworks [VIDEO]
- Kirk Franklin & Fred Hammond Slated For Upcoming Verzuz Battle On Instagram
- Atrium Health’s Reopening Guidance For Communities Of Faith