Coronavirus cases are back on the rise in the Charlotte area, according to new data from Mecklenburg County Public Health Department.The county numbers were declining progressively for a few months but the rate of coronavirus cases is on the rise in nearly every Mecklenburg County neighborhood, The Charlotte Observer reports.
Health officials say the rising trend comes as vaccines are successfully slowing hospitalizations and deaths but the positivity rate of COVID-19 testing in Mecklenburg is rising.
The most recent COVID-19 case rate data by ZIP code is only shown or active, infections detected by coronavirus testing, and factors in population to show where cases are most concentrated. Mecklenburg Public Health releases ZIP code-level data weekly and the rate is based on a 14-day average.
ZIP code 28202, uptown area had the highest mass of COVID-19 cases in the county’s most recent data release, with 661.6 cases per 100,000 residents. The next highest was 28204, Cherry and Elizabeth, 28203, South End and parts of Dilworth and 28214, north of the airport, and to the west, along the Catawba River and the Gaston County line, in that order.
Get Breaking News & Exclusive Contest in Your Inbox:
Uptown and surrounding ZIP codes 28204 and 28203 have consistently had some of the highest flock of cases in Mecklenburg and saw some of the county’s largest rate increases in recent weeks.
- Republican Group Launches Attack Ad On Herschel Walker, Who Somehow Blames Raphael Warnock
- POC Corrections Officers Barred From Jail Floor Where Derek Chauvin Was Held Settle Discrimination Lawsuit
- This Postpartum App Is Changing The Mental Health Care Space For Black Mothers
- Seattle Karen Demands To See Black Man’s Lease After Falsely Accusing Him Of Burglary…Of His Own Home
- Seven Black Women Are Campaigning To Become The First Black Woman In The Minnesota Senate
- Advocates Sound Alarm About New Texting Policy That Could Have Negative Impacts On Black Voter Outreach
- Mississippi Grand Jury Finds ‘Insufficient Evidence’ To Charge Carolyn Bryant Donham In Emmett Till’s Killing
- Nominations Open for 2nd Annual Heart Of Charlotte Awards
- CATS Looking for Feedback on Where to Put New Light Rail Stop
- What’s Next For Serena Williams? 5 Ways She Can Still Win After Tennis