Community

Author and poet Maya Angelou returns to Charlotte for a much-anticipated event honoring women leaders and raising scholarship money for deserving students through the United Negro College Fund this Saturday. Our very own, VP/General Manager, Debbie Kwei-Cook, will be honored with the Excellence Award. The Excellence Award was established to honow women who have made […]

Via Charlotte Observer Free health screenings are scheduled in Charlotte for June 11-17, courtesy of AARP and Walgreens.

On June 10 from 11:30 am to 1 pm at Mahlon Adams Pavilion at Freedom Park (2435 Cumberland Avenue, Charlotte, NC), WTVI and the Red Bench Ambassadors will dedicate Charlotte’s Garden of Forgiveness to celebrate the end of The Campaign for Love & Forgiveness and provide a place where the community can experience love and peace. The Garden of Forgiveness will include the Red Bench of Love, a tangible symbol of the Love & Forgiveness campaign.

There are lots of options for your children for Summer Camp. We’ve shared a camp for boys, a free football camp and here’s one with B.B. Dance Productions.

via waxmama.com If you’ve ever been instructed to “put your money where your mouth is,” then we’d like to introduce you to someone who can show you how.

Phase II of North Carolina's Appliance Rebate program begins today. Learn how to get rebates to replace inefficient appliances in your home.

Try something new this Memorial Day…or make what you already do better! Here’s a great recipe for some turkey burgers. If you buy the lean ground, it has much less fat than beef burgers

The Radio One Family Comedy Tour will be at the Knight Theater on June 26. This year’s show is Marcus D. Wiley, Sean Sarvis, Chinnitta Morris, and Griff. Last year’s show was a sell out, so get your tickets early this year. It’s entertainment the entire family can enjoy! Tickets are on sale now.  Get […]

With all the strategy that goes into getting your child into the “right” school, the reality is that you never really know what you’re going to end up with.

In less than 12 hours, I was saturated in Asian and black culture all on a Saturday in the Q.C. My day started on Lake Norman for the annual Charlotte Dragonboat Festival. Dozens of organizations and businesses sponsored boats to participate in the races on the lake. The event was part of the annual Asian […]

Someone stole Tyler Perry’s credit card  “…some[one] stole my credit card number.  Can you  believe that?”, Perry blogs.  

The CIAA released its official photos on Facebook today. I found a link on the page to an April story by the Charlotte Post about the tournament’s economic impact. This story hasn’t been widely reported so I wanted to share it with the Praise Charlotte family. This year, the tournament brought in $37.1 million, slightly […]