Michelle Obama’s book Becoming is quickly making it’s mark. On pace to be the biggest book of the year, Barnes & Noble announced that her memoir has sold more preorders than any other adult book since Harper Lee’s Go Set a Watchman was published in 2015. Oprah Winfrey announced today that Becoming for her book club, and will broadcast an interview with Obama and run an excerpt of the memoir in O magazine.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @‘praisecharlotte’
Her website explains the memoir in this way:
“Michelle Obama has emerged as one of the most iconic and compelling women of our era. As First Lady of the United States of America—the first African American to serve in that role—she helped create the most welcoming and inclusive White House in history, while also establishing herself as a powerful advocate for women and girls in the U.S. and around the world, dramatically changing the ways that families pursue healthier and more active lives, and standing with her husband as he led America through some of its most harrowing moments. Along the way, she showed us a few dance moves, crushed Carpool Karaoke, and raised two down-to-earth daughters under an unforgiving media glare.
In her memoir, a work of deep reflection and mesmerizing storytelling, Michelle Obama invites readers into her world, chronicling the experiences that have shaped her—from her childhood on the South Side of Chicago to her years as an executive balancing the demands of motherhood and work, to her time spent at the world’s most famous address. With unerring honesty and lively wit, she describes her triumphs and her disappointments, both public and private, telling her full story as she has lived it—in her own words and on her own terms. Warm, wise, and revelatory, Becoming is the deeply personal reckoning of a woman of soul and substance who has steadily defied expectations—and whose story inspires us to do the same.”
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Download the reading guide here.
- The Dr. Carter G. Woodson Story: You Are Unique, So Live Like It! | Dr. Willie Jolley
- The Breathe Life Bible Provides a Special Way to Read the Word
- Letitia James Is Holding Powerful, Corrupt White Men Accountable During Black History Month
- Donald Lawrence Honored With Inspirational Impact Award At The 6th Annual Urban One Honors
- 2024 Tax Season Refunds and IRS Rules with Jini Thornton
- Brooklyn Pastor’s Lavish Lifestyle Takes Center Stage As Fraud Trial Begins
- The Wilma Rudolph Story: Winning The Race| Dr. Willie Jolley
- AT&T Resumes Service Following Nationwide Outage
- Charlotte To Host Nikki Haley Political Rally
- Lynn Wheeler, Former Charlotte City Councilwoman Passes Away
Top Stories of 2023 in the Faith Community
MLK Day of Service and Other Events on Monday
Feeding Five Thousand People in the Queen City
Pastor John P. Kee To Take A Break From Duties To Focus On Health
Black Writers Matter Author Showcase
Tips For Growing Your Business Without Increasing Your Budget
Local organization launches a penny drive to help people in need
Kierra Sheard-Kelly Inspires Young Girls with New Children’s Book Kiki Finds Her Voice [LISTEN]