Community

President Obama will be in the Charlotte area to talk about jobs and the economy on Friday. Details about his visit have not been released.

As we remember their historical importance, and look back upon the Panther experience, we especially honor the strong, bold, powerful image of the Panther woman. The women of the organization were in many ways the coal that kept the engine running. They served an imperative purpose, and helped to propel the Panther message, but they always did so with style. The Panther women’s distinctive style holds its own place in our memories.

Editor’s note: This is the first edition of 360You. It’s a column dedicated to rejuvenating our spirits by transformational speaker Tanya Wilson. Are you celebrating with me that spring has finally arrived? Can we put away those ugly snow boots and heavy jackets? Not sure about you, but I am ready for some sunshine and […]

VIA CHARLOTTE OBSERVER Despite a move by two board members to implement pay cuts for CMS staff, the Charlotte-Mecklenburg school board voted last night to begin the process of laying off 600 teachers. With heavy hearts, and tied-hands the board voted 6-3 to reduce the staff and cut pay for assistant principals in preparation for […]

The N.C. Blumenthal Performing Arts Center announced its 2010-2011 Broadway Lights Series. The series features several award-winning and critically-acclaimed productions such as “Billy Elliot the Musical,” “Shrek the Musical” and “9 to 5: the Musical.” Among the new season’s line up is “Dreamgirls” at the Belk Theater Nov. 9-14.

Remember road trips with your parents? In my family, we battled to control the radio. If the trip was longer than 10 miles, my parents won. Dad inevitably popped in a cassette. Often he played contemporary jazz. I heard the Crusader’s “Street Life” so many times, I dreamed living the type of life Randy Crawford […]

VIA CHARLOTTE OBSERVER The Lord’s Prayer is a prayer many children learn to say every night before they go to bed, some athletes say it before they take the field or after they’ve finished a game. Charlotte’s Brian Hadley is turning the prayer into art and a call to help those less fortunate. He wrote […]

VIA CHARLOTTE OBSERVER Just two weeks before their trial on tax evasion charges, the pastors of a popular west Charlotte church could be jailed for violating conditions of their release on bond. Federal prosecutors say Bishop Anthony Jinwright, who heads Greater Salem City of God, and his wife and co-pastor, Harriet Jinwright, are continuing to […]

VIA CHARLOTTE OBSERVER Former Charlotte Bobcats owner Bob Johnson slammed the Charlotte business community less than a week after selling the NBA team to Michael Jordan. The billionaire and founder of BET was a featured speaker during the Urban Leadership Institute’s townhall meeting on Saturday. Johnson called the city’s business community “arrogant,” “incestuous” and not […]

If you haven’t been to NoDa lately, Real Eyes Bookstore is doing it up big. The African American owned bookstore is moving to a new location, and is bringing Malik Yoba and Pam Grier to town this spring. Malik Yoba will speak at the Booth Playhouse in the N.C. Blumenthal Performing Arts Center at 6 […]

In a press release today, leaders of the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public Library system today announced the closing of 12 branches and 148 layoffs, about a third of the system’s staff. The layoffs will be effective April 3 and the following 12 branches will close: Beatties Ford Road Belmont Carmel Checkit Outlet Cornelius Hickory Grove Independence Regional […]

VIA CHARLOTTE OBSERVER For some Christians, and even non-Christians, Lent is like a second New Year’s Resolution. They use the time to give up bad habits such as smoking, drinking and chocolate. Charlotte Observer special correspondent Amber Veverka looks at how other Christians use the time to meditate on life, death and the resurrection of […]