Beginning in 2016 , North Carolina will require voters to show a photo identification (photo ID) when they vote in-person.
ACCEPTABLE PHOTO ID IN 2016:
- NC Driver’s License, Learner’s Permit, or Provisional License (may be expired up to 4 years)
- Special Identification card (NC DMV ID Card) (may be expired up to 4 years)
- US Passport
- US Military Identification card
- Tribal enrollment card issued by a federally-recognized tribe Tribal enrollment card issued by a NC-recognized tribe, signed by an elected tribal official, and compliant with G.S. § 163-166.13
- Out-of-state driver’s license or non-operator’s identification card (BUT only if the voter registers to vote in the county within 90 days of the election)
- US Veterans Identification card issued by the Department of Veterans Affairs
Where do I get a free DMV ID card?
Go to your local North Carolina Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV) office or visit a mobile DMV office to obtain a free DMV ID card. To obtain this free NC DMV ID, voters will need to present DMV with documents to prove age and identity, residency, and also provide a valid Social Security number.
What do I need to bring to get a free NC DMV ID card?
1)Two documents that prove the voter’s age and identity (examples: a birth certificate, court documents, tax forms, certain school records);
2) A valid Social Security number; and
3) A document to prove the voter’s North Carolina residency (examples: a lease, voter registration card, utility bill, or a letter from a homeless shelter).
What does the free NC DMV ID card look like?
The DMV ID card will look identical to all NC DMV issued special identification cards
To view a complete list of acceptable documents to obtain a free NC DMV ID card, please visit http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/driver/id/
For more information: http://voterid.nc.gov/