It seems like each week we’re talking about another killing of a young black man. Like many, these stories have impacted Brian Courtney Wilson in a major way. He wanted to remind his son Joshua his life has worth and meaning at a time when the world is showing otherwise.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Brian Courtney Wilson penned a letter that would be the start to his #WeAreWorthFightingFor campaign:
I am writing this letter because I love you dearly, and you are so valuable and special to me. There has been a lot of news lately about young black males being gunned down or killed by people in authority or people who were afraid of them because of the color of their skin. It seems as if justice for these killings is slow in coming, if at all. The explanations for these murders defy logic….Given this climate, I am writing to affirm your worth not only to me but to the entire world. I well up even now as I consider your life and all you can be and accomplish…You are destined to be a champion and a leader, and I want you to shut out all of the images that have been crafted for profit and power that contradict what I am telling you… Yes there will be pain, but it will not defeat you. You will keep pushing past it and it will make you stronger.
As a concerned father, Wilson wants to continue to spread positive messages to our young men and women.
He encourages you to share a letter or video on social media using the hashtag #WeAreWorthFightingFor.
Here’s what you have to do:
- Write a letter to your child (or young person in your life). Describe the value that they have and affirm the many talents and gifts God has bestowed upon them
- Take a picture reading the letter to your child, your child reading the letter, or holding the letter, etc.
- Record a video stating the following below (10-15 secs):
- My name is (Insert Name) and this is my child (insert name). Today I let him/her know that regardless of what the media shows, he/she destined for greatness – join me and write a letter to YOUR child because together, we ARE worth fighting for
- Email an excerpt of your letter, video, and photo to firstname.lastname@example.org by June 10, 2015 to be included on http://www.briancourtneywilson.com
- Post the video on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter with the hashtag #WeAreWorthFightingFor on June 21, 2015
Watch his new video for “Worth Fighting For” above!
Brian Courtney Wilson “Worth Fighting For” (Live) [VIDEO] was originally published on theyolandaadamsmorningshow.com