According to TMZ, Oprah’s mother Vernita Lee died on Thanksgiving. Oprah’s sister confirmed the death with a social media post about the family’s loss.
Vernita Lee is survived by Oprah and Patricia Amanda Faye Lee and grandchildren Alisha Hayes, Chrishaunda Lee Perez, Aquarius Lofton and Andre Brown, as well as great grandchildren. She was 83.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @‘praisecharlotte’
If you didn’t know the history of Oprah and her mother, Vernita; here’s the short version:
Vernita was born in 1935 in segregated Mississippi. She met Vernon Winfrey and they gave birth to Oprah in 1954. Vernita couldn’t raise Oprah because she moved to Milwaukee where she worked as a housemaid.Oprah was raised early on by her maternal grandmother. When Oprah turned 6, she moved to Milwaukee to live with her mom … who was a virtual stranger.
Oprah says her relationship with her mom was rocky because of the long separation … “I was asking the question … what is a mother? What are you supposed to feel about your mother?” Oprah was living with her mom when she was molested by her cousin and abused by an uncle. Vernita had another child in 1963 and gave her up for adoption. Oprah had not met her half-sister Patricia until 2010 and said she was shocked to learn about her long-lost sibling. Oprah paid for her college education.
Vernita had a son, Jeffrey, who died in 1989 from AIDS. Oprah and Jeffrey reportedly had a difficult relationship. The relationship between Oprah and her mom was eventually repaired. Oprah had Vernita on her talk show in 1990. O’s personal stylist gave her a makeover.There are reports Vernita retired from a hospital dietitian job sometime after she reconnected with O, moved into a luxury condo in Milwaukee and got a stipend from her famous daughter of $5k a month.
Please keep Oprah and he family in your thoughts and prayers.
- Santas Just Like Me Is Bringing The Gift Of Diversity To The Christmas Industry
- What Happened To Markell Noah? 12-Year-Old Dies In Russian Roulette Game In Jackson, Mississippi
- Herschel Walker Says Trump Did The Most For Black People. Here’s Why He Doesn’t Know What He’s Talking About
- Wake Up & Win With Dr. Willie Jolley Principles To Win BIG: Happiness Is In Direct Proportion To Gratitude
- Is It Time To Start A Home-Based Business? | Money Monday
- Payton Gendron To Plead Guilty To Racist Buffalo Shooting, Death Penalty Still A Possibility
- Long Lines During Only Weekend Of Early Voting In Georgia Runoff Election
- The GOP’s Silence On Trump Meeting With White Supremacist Nick Fuentes Speaks Volumes
- Will Shanquella Robinson’s ‘Friend’ Be Extradited From U.S. To Mexico For Femicide Arrest Warrant?
- #BlackPlanetBack: Will Twitter’s Downturn Spark New Interest In BlackPlanet?