ESSENCE Festival is celebrating the 10th anniversary of its All-Star Gospel Tribute with a star-studded afternoon honoring Gospel music legend, Dottie Peoples.Among those set to pay tribute are Smokie Norful, Marvin Sapp, Tasha Cobbs Leonard, Johnny Gill, Regina Belle, Lexi and more. Peoples got her start in music at the age of 8, singing in her church choir and later in her high school Gospel choir. Not long after graduating from high school, she began touring with Gospel music pioneer, Dorthy Norwood. Although her early days in the music industry saw the award-winning songstress, producer and songwriter emerge as a jazz vocalist, it wasn’t long before she made her way back to where it all started.
Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
She eventually went on to release her first solo album, Surely God Is Able, in 1984, followed by the release of Is It Worth It All in 1987 and Live At Salem Baptist Church, in 1993.Her 1995 album, On Time God, became an instant classic following its’ release and spawned a title track that solidified Peoples as a force in Gospel music. Her iconic 30-year career in music has resulted in three Grammy nominations and multiple Stellar Awards, among others.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Follow Us On Twitter: The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- John P. Kee Gives Us His Black Music Month Playlist [Listen]
- When I Was Younger: Kirk Franklin On Learning To Go Along With God’s Plan [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- Todd Dulaney Gives His Opinion On The Worst Part Of Being A Dad
- Pastor Risks His Life To Help Rescue Thousands Of Cybersex Slaves
- State of the Black Church 2019: Part I
- Nas And Will Smith Are Investing In An App That Teaches Financial Literacy To Teenagers
- Jada Pinkett Smith To Receive “Trailblazer” Honor At MTV Movie & TV Awards
- Serena Williams Drops History Lesson While Braiding Her Daughter Olympia’s Hair
- Voices: John P. Kee “Made It Out”
- Karrueche Gets Candid On What It Took To Escape Her Past And Become An Actress