According to TheWrap, the suit, filed in federal court in California by Shannan Lynette Wynn and Pastor Lester Eugene Barrie, states the two teamed up to create a TV drama called “Justice & Glory,” and they met with Oprah’s team at OWN in the fall 2014 to pitch their idea … and got great feedback.
According to the docs, OWN picked their brain for more ideas and versions of their pitch but eventually cut them off. Years later, they claim “Greenleaf” premiered and featured the exact same characters and storylines from their original pitch.
The suit calls the defendants’ actions “blatant” and “arrogant.”
“[T]hey didn’t even seek to hide the theft; they used the same character names, and copied verbatim unique and novel storylines, themes, subplots and the overall tone of the show. They even named their antagonist after Plaintiff Pastor Barrie (Pastor Basie in ‘Greenleaf’),” the suit reads.
“The setting of Defendants’ ‘Greenleaf’ is identical to that of Plaintiffs’ ‘Justice & Glory. ‘ Both shows are dramas that take place in the South and center around a powerful, African-American family dynasty and their sprawling megachurch,” the complaint adds. “The families of both shows live together in a mansion-style home sitting on a large plot of land, have private jets and live an affluent lifestyle. Their lives all center around the mega-church activities and people affiliated with the church in one aspect or another.”
Wynn and the pastor are asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars in damages.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Follow Us On Twitter: The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
- Integrating Wellness Strategies to meet the needs of Children
- Netflix Fights Back: Response To Mo’Nique’s Lawsuit Shows Streaming Giant Isn’t Playing
- LET’S MAKEUP: Get Your Lipstick Game Ready For The Winter! Here Are 10 Colors You Need This Season
- Mo’Nique Sues Netflix Over Alleged Racial Discrimination
- Anti-Diversity Judge Gets Confirmed To Thurgood Marshall’s Legendary Appeals Court Seat
- After Lawsuit, Upscale New York City Salon Will Learn How To Style Black Hair After Once Banning Braids And Afros
- Several Injured In California School Shooting
- GRIFF’s Prayer For Laughter During Funerals [VIDEO]
- Faith Walking: Grateful & Thankful [VIDEO]
- Ciara Unveils American Girl Holiday Storefront As She Continues To Balance Work With Mom Duty
Oprah! Here Are 20 of Our Favorite "O" Moments
1. A look back at some of the most memorable interviews from the queen of media, Oprah Winfrey.1 of 1