Children’s book publisher Scholastic announced plans to publish a book in 2018 by a 12-year-old social activist that schools her peers on how to voice their social concerns effectively.
Marley Dias is the young activist behind #1000BlackGirlBooks, a movement to collect and donate children’s books that feature Black girls as the lead character.
“Through her smarts and ingenuity, she’s delivered a jolt of inspiration that’s sent an unstoppable shock-wave to kids everywhere who’ve stood up with Marley to shout ‘Yes!’ to the power of positive action,” said Andrea Davis Pinkney, Scholastic’s vice president and executive editor.
In the forthcoming book, Marley “will share her dynamic wisdom with readers everywhere,” Pinkney added.
Marley’s book, for readers 10 and older, explores activism, social justice, volunteerism, equity and inclusion. It offers tips to young people on how to use social media in campaigns for social change and justice.
At 12, the preteen has a wealth of experience to share. When Marley became frustrated by a lack of Black female characters in books, she launched the #1000BlackGirlsBooks drive two years ago. Her campaign to collect 1,000 books that feature Black female role models by February 2016 went viral. She easily surpassed that goal, reaching more than 8,000 books so far, according to Scholastic.
Marley’s parents nurtured her in a social activist environment. Her mother, Dr. Janice Johnson Dias, is the cofounder of GrassROOTS Community Foundation.
Happy Birthday, Barack Obama: Photos That Will Make You Miss Your Favorite President
1. Barack Gives Daughter Malia a KissSource:Getty 1 of 29
2. Michelle and Barack tell the kids a storySource:Getty 2 of 29
3. Michelle and Barack KissSource:Getty 3 of 29
4. Michelle and BarackSource:Getty 4 of 29
5. First Family PortraitSource:Getty 5 of 29
6. Two TermsSource:Getty 6 of 29
7. Michelle and Barack host a State DinnerSource:Getty 7 of 29
8. Barack Obama and Michelle ObamaSource:Getty 8 of 29
9. Sunday ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 29
10. Barack Obama and his daughter Malia ObamaSource:Getty 10 of 29
11. A Family AffairSource:Getty 11 of 29
12. Flashback To The Old DaysSource:Pete Souza 12 of 29
13. Happy Birthday!Source:Getty 13 of 29
14. Candidly AwesomeSource:Pete Souza 14 of 29
15. Historic First FamilySource:Getty 15 of 29
16. Ice Cream TreatSource:Getty 16 of 29
17. TV TimeSource:Pete Souza 17 of 29
18. Hawaii Trip!Source:Getty 18 of 29
19. Obama Loves Team USA & His WifeSource:Getty 19 of 29
20. Reading TimeSource:Pete Souza 20 of 29
21. Family SupportSource:Getty 21 of 29
22. Supporting MomSource:Pete Souza 22 of 29
23. Giving Back On MLK DaySource:Getty 23 of 29
24. Obamas Give Back To The CommunitySource:Getty 24 of 29
25. Always Supporting Small BusinessesSource:Getty 25 of 29
26. Obama SwaggerSource:Getty 26 of 29
27. Laughs & TurkeysSource:Getty 27 of 29
28. Christmas With The ObamasSource:Getty 28 of 29
29. 50th Anniversary Of March On SelmaSource:Pete Souza 29 of 29
Here Is How A 12-Year-Old Hopes To School Peers To Become Activists was originally published on newsone.com