CLOSE
0 reads
Leave a comment
Whitewater kayaking

Source: Forest Woodward / Getty

An 18-year-old woman from Ohio has died of a rare brain infection that is believed to have been contracted while whitewater rafting here in Charlotte. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention report that Lauren Seitz, died from an amoeba that causes meningoencephalitis. Extremely rare, only about 10 cases of the infection are reported each year, but is almost always fatal. While visiting the U.S. National Whitewater Center, Seitz went whitewater rafting and it is believed was exposed to the amoeba when her raft overturned. Health officials are inspecting of the site, adding more chlorine to the water.

Also On Praise 100.9:
Stellar Awards 2017 Red Carpet Photos
39 photos
comments – add yours
×