Some Baltimore police officers were under fire Tuesday for allegedly throwing what appeared to be rocks towards crowds on at least two occasions as protests over the death of Freddie Gray escalated Monday, according to the Huffington Post.
Police didn’t immediately answer a request for comment about the photos of officers throwing projectiles, the Post writes.
The incident occurred when officers found themselves under attack as protests turned ugly. One image shows a rock or piece of concrete flying from an officer’s hand, while video filmed from a helicopter appears to show another officer hurling objects toward protesters, including at many who looked to be teenagers, the report says.
At least 15 officers were injured Monday as protesters lodged rocks, bricks, and other objects at police, the report says. Baltimore police Capt. Eric Kowalczyk said two of the officers had been hospitalized, and that injuries included “broken bones,” writes the news outlet.
The violence occurred just hours after Freddie Gray’s family gathered in West Baltimore on Monday for the funeral of the 25-year-old, who sustained a fatal spinal injury in Baltimore Police custody earlier this month.
Gray was arrested on April 12 on unspecified criminal charges, and placed in the back of a police van without a seatbelt, a violation of department policy. Video of his arrest and questions about his death a week later had led to mostly peaceful protests throughout the city until Monday, when demonstrations turned riotous, the report says.
SOURCE: The Huffington Post | PHOTO CREDIT: Getty
Baltimore Reacts To The Freddie Gray Case [PHOTOS]
1. Fire eruptsSource:Getty 1 of 18
2. After being pepper sprayedSource:Getty 2 of 18
3. Injured manSource:Getty 3 of 18
4. Smoke conditionSource:Getty 4 of 18
5. Mondawmin Mall clashSource:Getty 5 of 18
6. Mowdamin MallSource:Getty 6 of 18
7. Lining up to mourn Freddie GraySource:Getty 7 of 18
8. GrievingSource:Getty 8 of 18
9. New Shiloh Baptist ChurchSource:Getty 9 of 18
10. Honk for JusticeSource:Getty 10 of 18
11. Police in riot gear confront protestersSource:Getty 11 of 18
12. Police in motionSource:Getty 12 of 18
13. ConfrontedSource:Getty 13 of 18
14. Facing downSource:Getty 14 of 18
15. On the groundSource:Getty 15 of 18
16. Atop a carSource:Getty 16 of 18
17. Remembering Freddie GraySource:Getty 17 of 18
18. Marching to police stationSource:Getty 18 of 18
Baltimore Cops Accused Of Hurling Rocks At Protesters was originally published on newsone.com