We have all been saddened by the actions of Stephen Collins. For many of us we mourn the loss of innocence of his victims. Most of us remember him as the doting dad on the faith driven show 7th Heaven. The 67-year-old – who has remained out of the public eye ever since a recording of him confessing to child molestation was released to TMZ – goes into detail about the incidents that occurred over a 20-year time span.
In vivid detail, Collins explains how there were three victims from 1973 to 1994, and how “I have not had an impulse to act out in any such way” in the last 20 years.
Collins also writes about why he hasn’t apologized directly to the women he once assaulted.
“Forty years ago, I did something terribly wrong that I deeply regret. I have been working to atone for it ever since. I’ve decided to address these issues publicly because two months ago, various news organizations published a recording made by my then-wife, Faye Grant, during a confidential marriage therapy session in January, 2012. This session was recorded without the therapist’s or my knowledge or consent.”
“On the recording, I described events that took place 20, 32, and 40 years ago,” Collins continues. “The publication of the recording has resulted in assumptions and innuendos about what I did that go far beyond what actually occurred. As difficult as this is, I want people to know the truth.”
You can read the awful confession in this week’s People Magazine.
- Here are some statistics and helpful prevention tips regarding the sexual abuse of children:
- One out of every three girls and one out of every eight boys will be sexually abused by age 18.
- Eighty to 90 percent of offenders are family members or someone close to the family.
- When sexual abuse occurs within a family, it is likely to continue for a period of time, even years, until it is discovered and stopped.
- Both males and females sexually offend, however males represent a higher percentage of known sex offenders.
- The media reports information on the highest risk offenders; however the majority of sex offenders are unknown to the general public, either because information isn’t publicized or because they haven’t been caught yet.
- While most other criminals decrease their criminal activity as they age, sex offenders typically do not. Most sex offenders continue to offend until they are physically incapable. Successful completion of sex offender treatment can interrupt this behavior; however extreme caution around children will continue to be necessary.
The Five Steps to Protecting Our Children
1. Learn the facts
2. Minimize the opportunity
3. Talk About it
4.Recognize the signs
5. React Responsibly
First Time Hosting The Holidays? Here Are 11 Thanksgiving Dinner Recipes To Make It Easier
Turkey Taboos: 10 Things You Should Never Do At Thanksgiving
Koryn Hawthorne, Engaged! Won’t He Do It!
Early Voting Locations And Times
How To Download Praise Charlotte App On Your Smartphone
How To Download The Praise Charlotte App On Your Smartphone
Praise Charlotte 100.9
Urban One Inc. Announces Launch of The Urban One Podcast Network