Have you noticed those funky bike stands and blue bikes popping up all over uptown? So far there are at least a dozen of the proposed stands in the uptown area. The bikes are an exciting new initiative by the city and corporate sponsors called Charlotte Bcycle. It’s a bike share program that is part of BCBSNC GO NC! initiative to build healthier communities throughout the state. Charlotte Bcycle is the state’s first bike share program. The program will make 200 bikes available for rent at 20 stations in Uptown and surrounding neighborhoods. So far more than 250 people have signed up for the program.
How the Charlotte B-cycle system works:
· Users elect to become either day or annual members.
· Daily users pay $8 for a 24-hour membership, which allows them to use the bike for unlimited 30-minute rides. Bikes checked out longer incur $4/30 minute fees.
· Annual members pay $65 and receive unlimited 30-minute rides for one year.
· BCBSNC customers are eligible for a 20-percent discount on annual Charlotte B-cycle memberships.
· Bike share is designed for point-to-point transportation. Members will choose a bike from any self-service docking station, make their short trip and drop off the bike at the station nearest their destination.
· The bikes feature durable frames and tires, three speeds, a large basket for cargo, an interactive website and mobile application, and safety and security features.