When 4-year-old Andra McGowan noticed an electrical fire spark from a socket in his room, he immediately knew what to do — and his quick thinking may have saved his family’s lives.
LIKE NewsOne On Facebook To Stay Up On Black News Worldwide!
The Grio reports:
I saw the fire come out of the plug,” explained Andra, describing how it started while he was in bed watching Barney on television. “I just called my mom for help,” he recalled.
“I heard my baby yelling and screaming, ‘Mommy!’ He kept saying, ‘Fire! Fire!’” said Andra’s mother Anica Duke. “I ran into the room where he was,” said Duke. “It was him. His yelling out. That alarmed me and I ran immediately and I thank God that I ran immediately ’cause it was already growing too fast,” she said, crediting her little boy for the reason everyone escaped without any injures.
According to fire officials, most children Andra’s age hide when they see a fire start, sometimes with tragic consequences. “Andra is awesome. I’m so glad that God gave him the wisdom,” said Andra’s grandmother Sandra Jones.
Jones owns the house on Graham Avenue on the city’s east side, but said she was at work when the fire started. “They’re alive. We’re alive and we just keep it moving,” said Jones. While a lot of four-year-olds would be worried about all the toys destroyed in the fire, Andra was concerned about something entirely different.
“I lost my shoes,” lamented Andra. “And all my clothes. All my church clothes.” “Let me tell you something. That baby loves to go to church. He loves to shout. He loves to praise God,” said Andra’s grandmother.
Read more at The Grio.