Anyone who has ever been in a relationship with a human being has picked a fight with someone they love. It’s one thing to run into conflict with your partner because of the things that naturally occur in daily interaction, but it’s a whole other thing to intentionally try to start an argument with your partner without reason.
But the tricky part of it is, there usually is a reason. Even “picking meaningless fights,” can have implications of a larger relationship issue.
Text “ERICA”to 52140 to join the Get Up! Mornings w/ Erica Campbell mobile club for exclusive news. (Terms and conditions).
“‘Picking a fight’ typically starts with finding fault with and going after something a person did or said and escalating it into a fight,” intimacy coach Irene Fehr told Elite Daily. “It’s a learned behavior used as a gateway to address a past hurt or resentment, without coming out vulnerably to talk about the thing that really bothers you.
The fight ends up more as a way to get your partner’s attention, than it is actually about the incident that caused the squabble.
“Most picked fights are not about the actual subject of the fight; the subject is merely a facade that allows you to act out on the deeper ‘meta’ message that you feel frustrated, unappreciated, not important, slighted, or ignored without having to admit to feeling this way,” Feh told Elite Daily.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
“It’s a passive-aggressive way to express how you feel, and it’s highly ineffective because the fight is never about the issue at hand, so the true source of discontent is never resolved, creating cycles of prolonged frustration and resentment,” says Fehr.
If you are the one instigating these petty arguments, be real about the source of your pain so you and your partner can heal it. You have to be direct and communicate the core of what’s bothering you–and if you can’t find the words, work with a therapist or counselor to get to the root.
If you are on the receiving end of this behavior, point it out to your partner and tell them how it affects you.
“Name that you see a pattern in your relationship around picking fights, name the impact on you: ‘when we fight this way, I feel less connected with you and less trusting. And it hurts,” Fehr advised. “Express to your partner that you want to break through this pattern and understand what’s really bothering them. Ask if they’d be willing to have a more vulnerable conversation about what’s going on.”
Samuel L. Jackson & LaTanya Richardson’s Love Stands The Test Of Time
1. 26th Annual NAACP Theatre AwardsSource:Getty 1 of 24
2. 2016 Carousel Of Hope Ball - ArrivalsSource:Getty 2 of 24
3. UAE-DUBAI-FILM-FESTIVALSource:Getty 3 of 24
4. Premiere Of Magnolia Pictures' 'I Am Not Your Negro' - Red CarpetSource:Getty 4 of 24
5. Premiere Of Paramount Pictures' 'xXx: Return Of Xander Cage' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 5 of 24
6. 89th Annual Academy Awards - ArrivalsSource:Getty 6 of 24
7. Premiere Of Warner Bros. Pictures' 'Kong: Skull Island' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 7 of 24
8. Premiere Of Warner Bros. Pictures' 'Kong: Skull Island' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 8 of 24
9. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 9 of 24
10. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 10 of 24
11. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 11 of 24
12. Opening Night on Broadway of Lucas Hnath's 'A Doll's House, Part 2' Starring Laurie Metcalf And Chris CooperSource:Getty 12 of 24
13. SAG-AFTRA Foundation's Conversations With 'Grey's Anatomy'Source:Getty 13 of 24
14. 19th Annual DesignCare 2017 - ArrivalsSource:Getty 14 of 24
15. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 15 of 24
16. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 16 of 24
17. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 17 of 24
18. Patrick McMullan ArchivesSource:Getty 18 of 24
19. Vanity Fair aftershow party - Morton's - Melrose AvenueSource:Getty 19 of 24
20. The American Theatre Wing's Centennial GalaSource:Getty 20 of 24
21. WACO Theater's 2nd Annual Wearable Art Gala - ArrivalsSource:Getty 21 of 24
22. CinemaCon 2018 - The CinemaCon Big Screen Achievement Awards Brought To You By The Coca-Cola CompanySource:Getty 22 of 24
23. Premiere Of Disney And Pixar's 'Incredibles 2' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 23 of 24
24. Premiere Of Disney And Pixar's 'Incredibles 2' - ArrivalsSource:Getty 24 of 24
ALSO TRENDING ON GETUPERICA.COM:
- Russell Wilson and Ciara Launch Production Company For Film, TV and Digital
- RHOA Star Eva Marcille Is Pregnant With Baby No. 3!
- Toni Braxton’s Niece Dies in Maryland
The Real Reason You May Pick Fights With Your Partner was originally published on getuperica.com