Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Actor Denzel Washington has helped mark the start of renovations at playwright August Wilson’s childhood home in Pittsburgh.
The Tribune-Review reports Washington headlined a ceremony at the house Wednesday. The actor led a $5 million fundraising effort to restore it. Renovations are to be completed in 2020, when the August Wilson House is to become a center for art and culture.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
Washington directed a 2016 movie production of “Fences,” filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and plans to film other Wilson plays. He won a Tony in 2010 for his portrayal of protagonist Troy Maxson in the Broadway revival of “Fences.”
Paul Ellis, Wilson’s nephew, spearheaded the effort to restore the building to its 1950s-era look, matching how it appeared when Wilson lived there with his mother and five siblings.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Wilson died in 2005.
- Early Voting Starts Today in NC
- J.J. Hairston Announces Two-Part International Live Recording
- Mueller To Say Whether Trump Colluded With Russia
- Syleena Johnson Shares How The Entertainment Business Made Her Develop A Low Self-Esteem In Her New Book “The Weight Is Over” [EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW]
- [WATCH] A Southern Tradition Gives Back In A Big Way
- Jo Dee Messina On Battling Cancer: “I Know That God Has Me”
- Travis Greene Announces ‘See the Light’ Tour, Reveals New Single With Jekalyn Carr
- From Oprah To Chance The Rapper, African-Americans Are Trying To Fight Hunger In Practical Ways
- Wife Of Temptations’ Dennis Edwards Denies Abusing Him Before His Death
- Eric Reid Continues To Kneel At Games; Lawsuit Against NFL Still In Place
Denzel Washington Contributes To Restoration Of August Wilson’s Home was originally published on praisecleveland.com