Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Actor Denzel Washington has helped mark the start of renovations at playwright August Wilson’s childhood home in Pittsburgh.
The Tribune-Review reports Washington headlined a ceremony at the house Wednesday. The actor led a $5 million fundraising effort to restore it. Renovations are to be completed in 2020, when the August Wilson House is to become a center for art and culture.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
Washington directed a 2016 movie production of “Fences,” filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and plans to film other Wilson plays. He won a Tony in 2010 for his portrayal of protagonist Troy Maxson in the Broadway revival of “Fences.”
Paul Ellis, Wilson’s nephew, spearheaded the effort to restore the building to its 1950s-era look, matching how it appeared when Wilson lived there with his mother and five siblings.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Wilson died in 2005.
- Earning a Great Income in Medical Billing and Coding
- Pamela Turner Is Buried While Texas Cop Who Killed Her Is Already Back At Work
- Olympian Allyson Felix Speaks Out for Maternity Rights (Op Ed)
- GRIFF’s Prayer For A Clutter-Free Alter [EXCLUSIVE VIDEO]
- How To Reset: Bishop Wesley Wiley Shares Tips On Cleansing The Mind, Body & Spirit [VIDEO]
- Did Wendy Williams’ Estranged Husband, Kevin Hunter, Get Into A Fight With Their Son?
- Neighbor Calls Cops On Black Woman Because She Played Her Malcom X & Angela Davis Speeches Too Loud
- Monica Says “I Just Didn’t Expect To Be A 38-Year-Old Single Mom Of Three” Following Divorce
- Sherri Shepherd Reveals Going A Year Without Sugar Has Reversed Her Type 2 Diabetes Diagnosis: “I Can’t Even Believe It!”
- Adrienne Bailon Agrees with Meagan Good, Saying She’s Faces Judgement From Churchgoers Too
Denzel Washington Contributes To Restoration Of August Wilson’s Home was originally published on praisecleveland.com