Want gospel news at your fingertips? Text NC to 60796 to join our text club!
Actor Denzel Washington has helped mark the start of renovations at playwright August Wilson’s childhood home in Pittsburgh.
The Tribune-Review reports Washington headlined a ceremony at the house Wednesday. The actor led a $5 million fundraising effort to restore it. Renovations are to be completed in 2020, when the August Wilson House is to become a center for art and culture.
The Latest Music, Celebrities and Interviews: Follow @praisecharlotte
Washington directed a 2016 movie production of “Fences,” filmed the movie in Pittsburgh and plans to film other Wilson plays. He won a Tony in 2010 for his portrayal of protagonist Troy Maxson in the Broadway revival of “Fences.”
Paul Ellis, Wilson’s nephew, spearheaded the effort to restore the building to its 1950s-era look, matching how it appeared when Wilson lived there with his mother and five siblings.
Sign Up For Our Newsletter!
Wilson died in 2005.
- Kanye And 112 Christian Music Collab?
- Black Panther Wins Multiple Oscar Nominations
- Report: Chris Brown Held By Police In France Due To Rape Accusation
- Ask Willie: How Do You Deal With Someone Who Is Broken
- Kamala Harris Is Officially Running For President In 2020 [VIDEO]
- St. Louis TV Reporter Issues An Apology For Referring To The Civil Rights Legend As “Martin Luther Coon Jr.” [VIDEO]
- Former Chicago Officer Jason Van Dyke Sentenced To More Than Six Years In Prison For Killing Laquan McDonald
- Tamika Mallory Shares How Her Parents Influenced Her Activism And How The Death Of Her Son’s Father Impacted Her Life
- Get Up! News Roundup: Kevin Hart To Star In Monopoly Game Movie, Women’s March In DC This Weekend & More
- Shaun King Speaks Out In Radio Interview: ‘If You Posted A Lie That Does Me Harm, This Is The Way We’ll Respond’
Denzel Washington Contributes To Restoration Of August Wilson’s Home was originally published on praisecleveland.com